Preventive Cardiology is a subspecialty which focuses on conditions that can increase the development of heart disease early in life. These conditions can include high cholesterol, high blood pressure and diabetes. Our Preventive Clinic includes a dietician and pediatric cardiologist who will work with you to address lifestyle and genetic factors that may contribute to your child’s risk of early heart disease.
We have also added a monthly Preventive Cardiology/Prediabetes Clinic for children with prediabetes or diabetes that includes a pediatric cardiologist, a dietician, and a pediatric endocrinology provider from Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland, Oregon.
Common reasons for children to be referred to our Preventive Cardiology Clinic:
- High blood pressure (hypertension) noted at pediatrician office visits
- High cholesterol (hyperlipidemia) noted on screening labs
- Obesity and a concern for prediabetes or diabetes
- A strong family history of early heart attack or high cholesterol
- Physical signs of early diabetes, such as acanthosis nigricans (darkening of skin on some parts of the body)
Our goal is to reduce cardiovascular risk factors, and support families toward a journey of lifelong heart health.